Research Manager, USA
Position: Research Manager, USA
Reporting into: VP of Research
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience
Based: Remote working, preferably based near NYC, LA or Vancouver.
Who we are: Pulsar is an audience intelligence SaaS platform and digital strategy consultancy. We help companies track, visualize, and understand what is being said on the web, on social media, search, and their own websites in order to help them generate insights for marketing and product. Our clients include Facebook, Twitter, The Guardian, Paramount, Mazda, Netflix, Spotify and Heineken to name a few.
Our group: Pulsar is part of the Access Intelligence group, consisting of c200 staff across the UK, Australia and the USA. As a group, we are tech innovators, delivering high quality SaaS products that address the fundamental marketing needs of almost 4,000 global brands across numerous industries from Media, FMCG, Tech, Healthcare to PR. Learn more about our group at: www.accessintelligence.com.
Why join us: We work in a friendly, supportive and inclusive environment, where people operate with a high degree of autonomy, over four different time zones across Europe and the United States. We value excellence, creative courage, bright ideas, and the ability to have fun.
In the last ten years, we’ve been the firm defining what social media research is and what it can deliver within insight, marketing and beyond. Our Product team are continually developing Pulsar to give us the smartest technology in the industry – such as audience analytics and algorithmic image recognition. Then we in the Consultancy team use these tools to gain powerful insights and solve our clients’ business problems – in brand, communications, innovation & strategy. We think this is the future of research. And we’re looking for people who want to build it with us.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a Research Manager to join our team.
You may come from all sorts of places – the market research industry. Another digital analytics consultancy. A digital strategist at an advertising agency. A media planner. Insight or data teams at a design research firm or innovation agency. Client side. Or somewhere else. That diversity of experience is something we value, because we look for every team member at Pulsar to bring something uniquely ‘them’ into the business – and to grow & develop our consultancy as a result.
Yes, we’re a social research platform, and so probably 95% of your projects will use social media methods. You’ll need to have had some experience of working with social media analytics platforms (e.g. Pulsar, Brandwatch, Talkwalker), but also other digital tools such as Facebook Audience Insights, Google search data, or Google Analytics.
But the right person for the role isn’t necessarily a social media zealot. Instead, we’d really like it if you’ve worked with other insight and analytics methods, too. For this role, experience in quantitative insight methods is key: you may be working on projects taking a social dataset, some Google Trends data, your client’s segmentation survey and some TGI stats, and turning these into an integrated story. You don’t need to have a hardcore statistics or econometrics background (though having done some numerate subjects post-GCSE may help) – what’s important here is basically just liking quantitative data and being able to interpret numbers to say what they mean.
The most important quality we’re looking for, though, is spark and curiosity. The ability to recognize that something looks interesting, and to dig deeper until you get to a nugget of pure insight. Understanding that data isn’t a matter of bar charts and line graphs, but something you can use to tell a story, to surprise and inspire people (to make brands and agencies change the way they do things).
The other part of the Research Manager role is of course “managing” – and at Pulsar, that’s mostly project management at this level: coordinating support, keeping the client informed, managing freelancers and synthesizing everyone’s thinking so that the insight is top notch. You’ll be managing smaller projects and accounts fairly autonomously, and working as a key part of the delivery team on larger six-figure accounts. So we’re looking for someone who’s started to gain experience managing insight projects, and who can be that organized, strategic planner and communicator that makes everything function like clockwork.
Alongside an Account Manager, Associate Research Directors and Research Directors heading up Research accounts, you’ll be the day-to-day research contact for continuous and ad hoc research accounts:
- Managing and crafting monthly and ad-hoc report delivery, planning methodology, approach and timelines, and ensuring that every report meets a consistently high standard upon client briefs.
- Connecting all Pulsar data to audience insights and other marketing analytics to build a holistic picture for clients’ brand or marketing strategy developments each month.
- Using your commercial and strategic insights to build clear, valuable conclusions and recommendations for what your clients should do next on their brief questions.
- Co-ordinating research executives and freelancers in your project teams and contributing to their training and development as researchers.
- Building and nurturing relationships with clients over time (and their other agencies, too), thus becoming a true partner for their marketing planning and strategy.
- Keeping a keen eye on the competitor landscape and industry trends to keep abreast with the cutting edge technology in research and insights deliverables.
- Contribute to a verticalized trends and case study library with the rest of the research team to share knowledge and tactics.
- Build a strategic research partnership with the clients in line with their curated annual research efforts, to offer fit for purpose and complementary deliverables with Pulsar data.
- Work with the commercial lead and Research Director to scope client briefs, design research approaches and be responsible for creating proposal and project budgets
- Hold lunch and learn sessions for the broader business to showcase research projects you managed or contributed to as best in class research work.
- Collaborative: it’s not about “your project” or “my project” but supporting colleagues across the team so that all our projects are great.
- Good team communication: You keep everyone in the loop about what you’re doing, how long it’s taking & if it’s staying on schedule – and you ask for help & support whenever you need it
- Great client communication skills, too: You’re are happy handling everything from a quick email or phone call, to delivering a full debrief presentation.
- Motivated by a high-paced, start-up environment
- Fundamentally passionate about the medium you work in: digital and social media. Beyond work projects, you are thinking & reading about how media – and culture – is changing and evolving. And you can bring this knowledge & understanding into your client work.
- Exceptional organizational skills and keen eye for detail for the delivery of best quality of work across the team
- Extensive knowledge of social media listening tools and landscape is essential – prior experience with the Pulsar Platform is a plus
We know that innovation thrives in teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems. As such, we are explicitly seeking individuals who will bring diverse life experience, diverse educational background, diverse culture, and diverse work experience. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our team.
- PTO policy, increasing from 15 to 25 days based on length of service
- 401k Contribution
- Competitive Healthcare and Dental plans
- Sabbatical eligibility (after 5 years)
- Summer & Winter Parties
- Birthday Holiday (0.5 Day)
- Long Term Service Awards
- Eligibility for Performance based awards
3 Stage interview process:
Stage 1: 30 minute interview (video call)
Stage 2: 1 hour task based interview
Stage 3: Meet the wider team and social