Position: Research Director
Reporting into: Giuseppe Polimeno, Chief Research Officer
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience
Based: Shoreditch, London.
What’s the future of customisable beauty?
Who are software developers, and what do they want?
How can universities handle the social media reactions to controversial speakers on campus?
Can we build a brand equity model so good, it replaces a tracker survey.
These are the types of questions we answer in Pulsar’s Consultancy team.
In the last eight years, we’ve been the firm defining what social media research is and what it can deliver within insight, marketing and beyond. Our Product team are continually developing Pulsar to give us the smartest technology in the industry – such as audience analytics and algorithmic image recognition. Then we in the Consultancy team use these tools to gain powerful insights and solve our clients’ business problems – in brand, communications, innovation & strategy.
We think this is the future of research. And we’re looking for people who want to build it with us.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a Research Director to join our team.
You may come from all sorts of places – the market research industry. Another digital analytics consultancy. A digital strategist at an advertising agency. A media planner. Insight or data teams at a design research firm or innovation agency. Client side. Or somewhere else. That diversity of experience is something we value, because we look for every team member at Pulsar to bring something uniquely ‘them’ into the business – and to grow & develop our consultancy as a result.
The Research Director will have a leadership role within Pulsar, working closely with the Head of Research to drive company further forward. As part of your Research Director responsibilities, you will oversee the delivery of high quality research and consultancy projects to a selected portfolio of clients by directing a team of researchers. In addition, you will be expected to fuel our growth by crafting value add propositions for our key industry verticals and supporting our Enterprise Sales function throughout the sale cycle.
This role requires a high degree of commercial awareness, as well as in-depth understanding of evolving client needs and of course, your outstanding research and consultancy skills. This role is key to position insights as the driver of our sales and marketing strategy which is an essential stepping stone for the next phase of growth of the company worldwide.
In order to build these skills, we’d expect 5+ years’ experience in an insight or marketing analytics role.
- Attract and win new business/ clients usually through industry-specific framework but also through networking and repeat business
- Lead the writing of proposals, presentations and pitches for new contracts
- Ensure that Pulsar’s research outputs are delivered to the highest standards, on time and on budget
- Bring research, strategic and planning expertise to projects, especially in the design and reporting stages
- Work with the Head of Research to proactively shape Pulsar’s future work strands and support the implementation of diversification strategies
- Work with the Head of Research to deliver innovation in our research, data visualisation and future offer to customers
- Direct and manage a team of Associate Directors, Managers and Analysts – enable an environment where people can develop to their full potential
- Be an outward face of Pulsar research – engaging with public audiences, prospects and current clients
- Collaborative: it’s not about “your project” or “my project” but supporting colleagues across the team so that all our projects are great.
- Good team communication: You keep everyone in the loop about what you’re doing, how long it’s taking & if it’s staying on schedule – and you ask for help & support whenever you need it
- Great client communication skills, too: You’re are happy handling everything from a quick email or phone call, to delivering a full debrief presentation.
- Motivated by a high-paced, start-up environment
- Fundamentally passionate about the medium you work in: digital and social media. Beyond work projects, you are thinking & reading about how media – and culture – is changing and evolving. And you can bring this knowledge & understanding into your client work.
WHAT TO EXPECT
You’ll work with amazing clients and brands – we do social media research for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram themselves, as well as clients in beauty (Coty, Unilever), Tech (Spotify, Sonos, here), Media and Entertainment (Discovery, 20th Century Fox), Automotive (Mazda, GM), and Education (UCL, KCL)
An exciting start-up culture, with stylish new offices in the heart of Shoreditch and big plans to develop our business in the US in 2018.
An open, collaborative team atmosphere; we’re friendly, approachable, and help each other every day – whether that’s crafting a tricky search strategy, finessing an insight, or coaching and sharing expertise in new research techniques.
“It’s exciting to be in a rapidly growing industry and you feel like you could be making a contribution to something big.” – Anna Rudkevych, research executive
“I work with the most motivated, passionate people I’ve ever met.” – Giuseppe Polimeno, Chief Research Officer
“Pulsar is buzzing. Not just in the volume of social media data we track, analyse and distil for our clients; but also in the types of brands we get to work with; the diversity of our teams; and the pace of life in the office. It’s quick and exciting – but considered and methodical at the same time.” – Harry Symington, Research Manager
Stage 1: 45 minute introductory meeting
Stage 2: 1 hour task-based interview
Stage 3: Meet the wider team informally