Research Director, USA
Position: Research Director, USA
Reporting into: VP of Research
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience
Based: Los Angeles, USA or New York City, USA
Who we are: Pulsar is an audience intelligence SaaS platform and digital strategy consultancy. We help companies track, visualize, and understand what is being said on the web, on social media, search, and their own websites in order to help them generate insights for marketing and product. Our clients include Facebook, Twitter, The Guardian, Paramount, Mazda, Netflix, Spotify and Heineken to name a few.
Our group: Pulsar is part of the Access Intelligence group, consisting of c200 staff across the UK, Australia and the USA. As a group, we are tech innovators, delivering high quality SaaS products that address the fundamental marketing needs of almost 4,000 global brands across numerous industries from Media, FMCG, Tech, Healthcare to PR. Learn more about our group at: www.accessintelligence.com.
Why join us: We work in a friendly, supportive and inclusive environment, where people operate with a high degree of autonomy, over four different time zones across Europe and the United States. We value excellence, creative courage, bright ideas, and the ability to have fun.
In the last nine years, we’ve been the firm defining what social media research is and what it can deliver within insight, marketing and beyond. Our Product team are continually developing Pulsar to give us the smartest technology in the industry – such as audience analytics and algorithmic image recognition. Then we in the Consultancy team use these tools to gain powerful insights and solve our clients’ business problems – in brand, communications, innovation & strategy. We think this is the future of research. And we’re looking for people who want to build it with us.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a Research Director to join our team. The Research Directors are responsible for the oversight of continuous, ad hoc and new business research accounts. They work closely with the other senior members of the team to deliver highly profitable, strategic research outputs that are fully actionable for our clients. In collaboration with the project manager and the project leads, the Research Director ensures that budgets, timings and outputs forecasted are reflective of resource and skill capacity, while also pushing the envelope for the research agenda at the Pulsar business.
The Research Director will work with the VP of Research to oversee and deliver continuous and ad hoc projects, with more weighting on continuous accounts.
- Collaborate with the whole of Pulsar sales function to dial up/down research sales efforts based on retainer/new business actuals vs targets per quarter hand in hand with the Senior Research Director
- Establish specialised research expertise within the team, retention and upsell/cross-sell stages of the sales funnel (standard outputs, sales decks, training sessions, workshops etc.)
- Be the voice of the Pulsar research consultancy capabilities for continuous clients and the team across the Access Intelligence business
- Support Account teams on accounts’ development and nurture programs, and strategic renewal cycle involvement
- Be the research senior representative in important debriefs and annual reviews with continuous clients
- Actively develop client relationships especially with Research/insights stakeholders on client-side to carve out opportunities and new ways of working
- New Business – Development of proposals, budgets & scoping
- Resource Oversight collaborate with research project manager to effectively resource and prioritise client deliverables
Research Quality Control
- Ensure all work is carefully monitored, with keen eye for detail, strong client-centric approach and actionable strategic recommendations
- Study setup, work with managers to design and implement research projects from beginning to end, including finding and signing off the best study setup to deliver on client briefs
- Project briefs – run client project debriefs, both face to face and via web-conference
- Innovation, Push the agenda within the business to develop new and interesting ways of analysing or presentation insights surfaced from social data
Thought Leadership and Marketing
- Collaborate with Marketing to produce content (blogs, whitepapers etc.) that demonstrates the value of Pulsar’s product and positioning to wider audiences
- Take part/speak at events, industry roundtables etc. and ensure we pave the way to interesting pieces of industry PR, exposure and/or partnerships with new providers
- Line management, Lead and manage Research Managers and/or Analysts, set tangible KPIs and run unofficial performance reviews every quarter to track progress
- Mentoring & coaching, serve as a point of contact for all team members to turn to for personal development, advice and support as well as training for project execution and new methodology adoption
- Assess team time spent on projects, as well as average deliverable time to ensure the team productivity is maximised at all times
- Strategic thinker who always sees the long-term implications of projects and research questions, and plans strategic research plans accordingly, hand in hand with the client
- Ability to handhold clients in refining research and broader objectives to be able to deliver unmatched research projects in the industry
- Great organizational skills, someone who can perform well under pressure and lead the team of experts reactively as well as proactively
- A natural leader who has experience in leading projects, teams and managing people
- Brilliant communicator who is a great presenter for internal and external presentations/workshops/thought leadership initiatives
- Track record in social listening and syndicated data platforms in audience research, with a solid understanding of trend forecasting and bespoke research models/framework to do so
- 7+ years in agency or client-side research management/direction
- Extensive knowledge of social media listening tools and landscape is essential – prior experience with the Pulsar Platform is a plus
We know that innovation thrives in teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems. As such, we are explicitly seeking individuals who will bring diverse life experience, diverse educational background, diverse culture, and diverse work experience. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to our team.
- PTO policy, increasing from 15 to 25 days based on length of service
- 401k Contribution
- Competitive Healthcare and Dental plans
- Sabbatical eligibility (after 5 years)
- Summer & Winter Parties
- Birthday Holiday (0.5 Day)
- Long Term Service Awards
- Eligibility for Performance based awards
3 Stage interview process:
Stage 1: 30 minute interview (video call)
Stage 2: 1 hour task based interview
Stage 3: Meet the wider team and social